Why is it important to write a will?
Our estate lawyers Adelaide make writing a will easy. We encourage you get on the ball early to prevent the chance of an intestate death. This is when there’s no formal system of distribution in place, so the government is left to decide what to do with your estate. While they act in your best interests, sometimes things don’t always go the way you wish. This is typically where family conflict arises, and there are disputes over who should inherit what. Australian’s are lucky to have complete freedom of choice when it comes to allocating property and assets, so we encourage people to take advantage of their independence. Tim Clarke & Co Lawyers give people the confidence and support to make their own calculated decisions from end to end. Our professional estate lawyers Adelaide put your comfort and concerns at the forefront of everything we do.
Our estate lawyers Adelaide break down the process
Here’s a brief step by step process to help you write your will:
- Start with a clear introduction to ensure people know the document is your last will and testament. It needs to have your full name and address for simple identification.
- Make a list of all your assets—including everything from houses and cars, through to insurance and debt.
- Select a reliable executor to manage all your possessions and finances after your passing.
- List your chosen beneficiaries.
- Asses and divide your property.
- Sign the will.
- Get a reliable witness to sign the will (this must be someone who’s not listed as a beneficiary, such as your lawyer)
Once this process has been completed, we recommend returning to update your will every 5 or so years. Our estate lawyers Adelaide will make sure you have continuous access, and support when you need it!
Why do I need to bother updating my will?
One of the benefits of securing the help of estate lawyers Adelaide is the stress-free experience. You’ll have a team to help in the process of writing, refining, updating, storing and executing your will to take the burden off your hands completely. You might be wondering why recurring visits to update your will might be necessary—and the answer is simple. By nature, life is unpredictable. There’s a range of factors that can change your circumstances and relationships with beneficiaries. Some of the life events that might influence your choices include:
- Changing careers
- Having children
- Losing a loved one who was appointed beneficiary
- Making significant purchases (such as a house or car)
- Finding a cause you’re passionate about.
Our estate lawyers Adelaide will keep your will safe in a sealed, fire-proof location to ensure complete security. Simply pay us a visit to make any amendments!
Chat to our estate lawyers Adelaide to secure your wishes! Don’t leave stress behind, your decisions could ultimately transform someone else’s life for the better. Call us to book in your first consultation via (08) 8277 8355!